Powered by Blogger.

Monday 28 October 2013

Product Review: Ergobaby Swaddler

***UPDATED AT BOTTOM***

Thanks to Mums Review I was selected to review a swaddle by Ergobaby. After some trouble with it getting to me (it came from Asia via Australia!) I finally received it. As with everything new I use on Ladybug I gave it a good wash first off. Because it hasn't been the nicest of weather here it took a little time to dry in the garage, about a day. I was fine with that as I didn't want to risk putting it in the dryer, even though you can put wool in ours.

Ladybug has always been swaddled in one way or another as she has the startle reflex motion that wakes her up, and now, at seven months old, it's a comfort to her.

So what did I think?

The first time I put Ladybug into the Ergobaby Swaddler she slept for about two hours in the morning. Wow! I thought - two hours! That's great and similar to what she has been sleeping in recently. However, her next nap was in the afternoon and she only slept for about 40 minutes. Every time I have put her into this swaddle she has only had short sleeps. There are many reasons for this:
  1. she is teething and gets small naps from the pain,
  2. afternoon naps have always been short unless she is really tired,
  3. she has infant eczema and tries to scratch her face when asleep if not pulling on her ear from teething pains,
  4. she is an Houdini baby.
I haven't been brave enough to sleep her in it at night as she is usually a good 10 hour sleeper and I didn't want to lose my sleep to her waking through the night (I know, I know I'm lucky).

Does Ladybug like it?

Yes. She liked moving her arms and loosening it so she could put her hand to her mouth to suck on it. Must have tasted good!


Did I like it?

I liked how her arms were contained within the specially designed wings. These were great to stop her from scratching herself and made getting a grumpy tired baby to settle easily. I would have preferred the velcro tab to be bigger, but they were nice and quiet to undo if needing to reposition. The special piece that folds up to keep the legs and hips in the frog position I found awkward as it didn't seem long enough. The little sack that goes over the legs was a good idea as I can see parents resting their baby's legs on top of this in hotter weather, although it was nice and lose for kick room when baby is awake.

I tried to follow the instructions from the pamphlet but needed to go look at the instructional video. Now I am able to put most things together with minimal instructions so I was surprised at the extra help I needed. One thing I would like added to the instructional video is tips for making the swaddle tighter when wrapping the arms as Miss Houdini was always moving her arms making it hard to get the same snug fit as the baby in the pamphlet. Maybe on a younger baby this would be easier?




Ergobaby in the USA have sent a pictorial "how-to" for do's and don'ts. If this was included with the swaddle it would have made it much easier to use. Go HERE to get your own copy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment